Emergency Roof Repair – What To Do During Situation?trustone3
Emergency Roof Repair – What To Do During Situation?
An emergency is a situation which calls for drastic measures. A roof which has suffered damage due to heavy rains, tornado like situations, hail, storms etc classify sometime for this kind of a repair. The roof is perhaps the most important part of a house, besides the people living in the house. A damaged roof will directly affect the stability of the entire structure of the house and is a cause for prompt action.
An extreme weather condition is more often the cause for emergency repair of a roof. Care has to be taken for deciding upon the time and place to start the repair. If help is available, we should make use of it. In conditions where emergency repair is warranted, it is best to make use of an experienced roofer rather than try a do-it-by-yourself stunt. It is advisable to wait till the extreme weather conditions have passed and the situation is conducive to initiate the repair rather than starting straight away. You may be doing more damage than repair! You can be swept away by the winds or stuck by lightning. The inspection of the roof is another critical activity prior to initiating the repair. It must be done under favorable conditions of weather and light.
However, not all emergency repairs are critical and non-professionals might also do some. These are the temporary repairs undertaken by the owner and which can be made permanent by the more competent roofer. The roofing guidelines, which should be adhered to by the person attempting an emergency repair, are as follows:
· First and foremost control the spread of the water seeping in. This water will damage the internal structure and can be a source for further damage to the roof, if not checked at the earliest.
· Remove any puddles of water or stagnant water formation from the roof. This can be a major cause of roof damage.
· Locate the exact source of the leak. Sometimes, the leak is actually at another ocation from where the internal inspection indicates.
· Use appropriate materials to plug the leak based on the type of the roof and material used to construct it.
Material used for doing emergency roof repairs include patches, rubber sheets, sealants, tarps and duct tape. They act as stopgap arrangements on which a more permanent repair can be undertaken at a later time and date by an experienced roofer. Certain steps which are common while using any of these emergency methods for roof repair are as follows:
· Clean the area around the leak and then apply the patch. The debris, water and dirt around the leak will un-stick the emergency patch and reduce its effectiveness.
· In case of roofs that require hammer or nail work, make sure that the tools are secure to the person attempting the repair. They can slide off and cause further damage.
Care has to be taken so that any is on unattached part of the roof like a shingle, asphalt or a strip of iron/wood is not lying around loosely while the repair. The windy condition can cause it to strike the repair person.